Monday, June 6, 2011

Part Two of the Who-Knows-How-Many-Parts Post

Okay, so I may be a little biased. I mean, as I said before, I have never had a romantic relationship. Yeah, this has left me somewhat jaded and cynical, but I believe that at the same time I can see this issue clearly. And as I said before, it's fucked up.

So I covered divorce and how much, or rather, how little stock I put into most marriages. This isn't my fault: This is society's fault for making me this jaded. It seems like all I hear about nowadays is failing relationships (both married and unmarried), but at the same time I keep seeing people barely older than me getting married. I can't help but to laugh at these people's "undying love," because if I've learned anything, its that the chances of that love actually dying are high. Actually, it's gotten me to question what "love" really is? Wikipedia describes love as "Love is an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment." Yeah, I agree with that. But I think now we need a new term for romantic love. I think a good description for this yet unnamed term would be "An emotion of strong affection and personal attachment that blinds one - all hopes of rational thought are destroyed." Maybe the last bit is a bit extreme, but only a bit.

You know how many couples claim that they love each other, only to end up hating each other? You don't have to look far, in fact, just look to music. Almost every album in my collection has at least one song about a broken romantic relationship. Now the "hating each other" may be exaggerated. In fact, I don't think you could truly hate someone unless they did something to you so incredibly cruel that it would take a lifetime to move on. This idea is increased in the fact that love and hate are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

So most couples may not end up hating each other, but obviously they don't "love" each other anymore, otherwise they wouldn't have split. The way I see it, there are a few main reasons why they split.

Reason 1: The relationship wasn't what they thought it would be. They entered with false expectations, usually for the other person.

Reason 2: One or both parties became bored with the other.

Reason 3: One (or both) did something "unforgivable."

I don't feel like I really need to elaborate on the first two reasons. Some people think they can change the other person. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is unlikely, at least to the degree you'd like. Nobody is perfect; get over it.

Now there is the third reason. Someone did something "unforgivable." The reason I'm putting quotations around "unforgivable" is because honestly, some things that people break up about are just plain stupid. I'm not even going to go into this topic.

Now, on the opposite end of the spectrum is the relationship that would be better off if they broke up, but one (or both) parties are either too stupid or too power-drunk to realize this, but that is a-whole-nother topic.

Read on to part Three when you think you're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment