Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Questionable Fad

I figured I'd start with this one, seeing as it is what propelled me into starting one of these hellish blogs.

Today's youth are ruled by fads. Some of these fads last for a while, and some die very quickly.Some fads are actually decent, while other fads are just plain stupid, the latter of which brings me to the topic of this essay/rant/whateverthehellyouwanttocallit.

The sticker on the hat.

That's right. Today's youth are obsessed with keeping the big, shiny, gold sticker on the top of the flat brim of their hat. But why? Is it considered "cool" to keep the tags on all of one's clothing? No. So why is it so "gangster" to keep the sticker on a hat? For one, if you wear that hat like most youth do (at an angle with the brim tilted upwards), unless your a midget, most people aren't going to see your shiny gold treasure upon the brim of your hat.

Is it kept on to show authenticity? Or maybe to show off how much disposable income one has (or just how much of a consumer whore he/she is.) Is it a size thing? Larger heads do not mean larger brains. Many dinosaurs had colossal skulls, and look where that got them (before you say something like "Well the giant meteor hit that's why!," I could also point out elephants. They have huge heads, but seeing as they're not the dominant species on the planet, I think my point is proven.) Maybe it's just kept on because it's shiny. I mean, all throughout history shiny things have been coveted, and with the modern hip-hop culture, well...

I have never done this, but apparently when one pulls the sticker off another one's hat, the "victim" becomes very upset, and if the sticker doesn't stick back on, they will go drop more cash for a new one (hat, that is. At least that's what they'll tell you.)

My take on this fad is that it's stupid. Almost as stupid as sagging (not necessarily showing the boxers in general, but the kind of sagging in which the sagee's ass is hanging out and they waddle while walking and occasionally have to hold their pants up.) A hat is a hat, people. Nobody needs to know, let alone cares how much your hat cost. As long as it is aesthetically pleasing, most folks won't care. A shiny (not to mention tacky) gold sticker that draws the eye away from the design of the hat is rather bothersome( although, in most cases the design either is a team logo, or just looks retarded). In the end, all it does it make people mention the fact you have a sticker on your hat.

Now, I am in no way attempting to offend anyone. Trust me, if I was trying to do that, you'd know. What I am trying to do is probe people's minds and see if I can get a reasonable answer as to why people keep the sticker on their hat. I can understand a majority of current fads, but this one's appeal eludes me.

<---A hat with both 59fifty sticker AND a graphic of a retarded pair of sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment