Saturday, September 24, 2011

Stupid drawings.

I realized the other day how much I like my hair. Because I'm artistic and weird, I decided to draw my hair, and the final product was a dumb looking simple cartoon. Long story short, people really like them, so I drew more. And then I realized three things...

1: Drawing other people is harder than you'd think.
It's interesting, because I have ALWAYS gotten requests from friends to draw their cartoon persona. Over the years, I have realized that, while I am good at doodling, drawing another person is no cup of tea. It's not that the drawings don't look good. It's because people, whenever they look at something that is meant to represent them, get extremely critical, whether they realize it or not.

2: The internet has destroyed original ideas.
Think about it for a minute. Any nincompoop who has access to a computer with an internet connection (me) can post any amount of information they want, and this can be seen by anyone else who has a computer and an internet connection. Just about anything you think of has probably been seen somewhere on the internet, whether it be exactly like your idea, or somewhat different. My drawings look similar to an internet meme known as "Poker Face." I have seen it, but honestly I didn't think about the meme once until I had finished my drawing. The whole point of Poker Face is to have a blank expression. I wanted a somewhat dumb, blank expression. I've known about doing simple dots for eyes and a simple line for a mouth for years now, even before the /b/tards made the Poker Face meme. How do you think they thought of it? In short, artists draw from things for inspiration. Plagiarism and inspiration are two separate things.

3: I like finding excuses to waste time and not do homework.
I'm doing it right now.

Off topic from the rest of this post, but if you haven't listened to Linkin Park's "A Thousand Suns" album, you should. I can say with confidence that just about everybody will find at least one song on it they like, if not the whole album. Musically, it's absolutely brilliant. Now, there are always going to be the narrow-minded douchebag types who won't like something for a plethora of stupid reasons, and I hope you aren't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment